Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Stop giving me more money!

Ok, the law firm raises are starting to get a little crazy. Simpson Thatcher announced yesterday it's boosting the first year salary to 160k. Other firms are expected to follow suit.
So I should be happy right? Wrong! You know that partners aren't going to give up any of that sweet equity cash, so they're going to have increase revenue somewhere. And for some reason I have a feeling that when it comes down to increasing rates for clients, or working those first year slaves an extra few hours a week, it's not going to be a difficult choice. I have another feeling that bonuses might not be as big next year anyway, but maybe that's just the rational me.
I'm already going to be sacrificing most of my few remaining healthy years, don't take away even more! I really don't care about an extra (at most) 15k at this point, I'm already going to be vastly overpaid, give me a couple evenings with friends for God's sake.

Ok, phew, breathe. I'm complaining about a raise. I'm done. Thanks for listening. I hate me too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dugi said...

WHAT?!!!
In Australia teh average 1st year law grad wage is only $50k.
That's like 40k US$.
OMGoooooooooooooooooosh what a rip off!!!
I'm movin to the US!

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the US, a law degree is a second degree... not an undergrad degree like it is in Australia. That's likely one reason for the large difference.

7:54 PM  
Blogger The BLS said...

You're complaining about a raise? Yeah, that's gotta suck. I bet you have too many tiaras and your diamond shoes are too tight, too.... :p

10:57 PM  
Blogger M said...

durga, I gotta say, you sound like you're really getting screwed. Although anonymous is right, this is my seventh year of university schooling, so I deserve a couple more bucks (although not that many- my tiara collection is pretty extensive)

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home