Tuesday, January 16, 2007

To attend or not to attend

I'm trying to plan out my semester, and I could use some input. Now that we're entering the second week of classes, and I've attended one class each so I could get on the seating chart, I'm trying to decide if sporadic attendance or none at all is preferable. What do you think?

Sporadic attendance (1 in 4 classes)
-guards against the possibility that professor will notice you're never there
-but then also might do the opposite, because professor might notice you, then notice when you're gone most of the time
-also opens up to the risk of getting called on, in which case you have to admit you haven't read, and now you kinda have to go for a while because you'll be in the professor's mind

No attendance
-could get screwed and dropped from the class. I would no longer graduate, and would sacrifice my entire future.
-but don't have to go to class

Thoughts?

8 Comments:

Blogger Elle Woods said...

You made your mistake signing the seating chart. I went to labor law once last term. Then I missed the day we signed the seating chart and never went. He never noticed. It was some of my best work ever.

3:17 PM  
Blogger M said...

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that, but then I got scared that the prof would look at the class list and see I wasn't on the seating chart. Looking back, I guess that's pretty unlikely, but I feel that I'm getting more risk-averse as I near graduation.
I just used risk-averse outside of an exam. Shit. No class for me, I'm getting tainted!

1:22 PM  
Blogger josh said...

i think it depends totally on the professor. if (s)he's the type to notice, dont go. if they wont notice, you can go sporadically if you want. either way, 1 semester yet. almost.done.

7:16 PM  
Blogger angela said...

I'll go with sporadic attendance and not signing the seating chart just to be safe.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Sheila Rambeck said...

There was a guy in one of my classes who only went to class once during the whole semester. The teacher must not have known, because the guy got a higher grade than me on the final. Go when you feel like it!

8:19 AM  
Blogger Butterflyfish said...

God I can't wait til I am a 3L

11:58 AM  
Blogger Dugi said...

I'm in 3L!
We have class attendance grades. They mark you off the attendance register every class. If you attend les than 80% of the classes without credible reason, u FAIL the class. It doesn't matter if u passed all your assignments and exam...u still fail for non attendance. SUX.
The Prof/Teachers want u there so that they can crap on to u....and pretend what they say helps u do well in the course...it's a ploy to keep their jobs.

1:29 AM  
Blogger briony said...

I think the best approach is to enroll an off-campus student. Then at the start of semester, email the lecturer and ask if you can attend on-campus. Go in the first week, introduce yourself and they'll think you're a saint. Then you never have to go again, they honestly won't remember, but they will remember you asking their kind permission to attend lectures. Works a treat ;)

2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home