Thursday, March 09, 2006

Moooooo-t

Some people care a lot about moot court. These are usually the people who were debaters in high school/college, or on the mock trial team, or those weirdos who actually like law school. Personally, I find this very sad. I care about important things, like TV and drinking. If I ever really get into lawschool extracurriculars, kill me.

I was in a moot court competition last weekend. Unfortunately, as a stupid 1L I'd thought that having moot court on my resume would be a good thing, so I tried out and made it onto the team. This was a mistake. I seriously doubt that any firm cared about this, all it accomplished was wasting my time. Unsolicited advice to 1Ls- don't do it! Anyways, I'm at this competition, and the other teams really cared about winning. They were working hard, had judges as coaches, were going to bed nice and early. We drank until about 4am every day, and prayed for an early exit so we wouldn't have to get up early the next day. We won. I think some of them cried. Maybe the only thing sadder about really caring about this kind of stuff is losing to someone who thinks it's idiotic, and is so hungover he can barely stand.

What is the point of this story? A question. Who will do better in the real world? People who care about this stuff and work hard at it, or someone with natural oral skills like myself? Discuss.

5 Comments:

Blogger josh said...

depends what kind of oral skills you're talkin about. girls only wanna date guys who have skills.

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moot court was useless.

Drinking, I agree, was useful.

Swearing, I know now, was (perhaps) the most useful trait I picked up in law school.

3:33 PM  
Blogger M said...

I would contend that oral skills transfer across boundaries. Therefore my moot court championship is indicative of my skills in bed.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Legally Intoxicated (Retired) said...

Moot court's not all that bad. I'm on my school's team and we have beer at all the meetings, which gives me a great excuse to get royally fucked up in the large lecture hall I (theoretically) have class in.

2:00 AM  
Blogger M said...

Yeah, if we got to drink at moot court it would be a lot better. But the school in its infinite wisdom took that away from us.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home